READING BETWEEN THE PINES

If life's about the journey, does it matter how many bathroom breaks you take along the way?

When I was young, I was the queen of the white lie. My intentions were good, but somehow the result often ended up being…bad. As I’ve grown older, I’ve become more comfortable in my skin and with my beliefs. With age comes experience, confidence, and a certain nonchalance known as having better things to do than worry about what everyone else thinks. Wisdom is the benefit to those wrinkles around your eyes that no cream or bovine cellular fluid injection can erase, an advantage that can only by earned over time.

With that thought in mind, today’s Act of Kindness is to Spill a Secret. To get things started, here’s one of mine:

In 2012, I believed I had a real chance to appear on The X Factor. Finally, there was a show willing to highlight the talent of a not so young but not too oldish aspiring songstress. Like me. For a full five days in a row, I pulled out my son’s amp and microphone and sang The Dixie Chicks’ Wide Open Spaces over and over and over in the playroom while the kids were at school. Then one day, my husband came home from work early, secretly recorded what was to be my audition tape, and tweeted it to the world. He didn’t get any retweets, so I locked myself in our bedroom for two days and cried. O.K., that was a lie. Not a white one. A real one. The truth is I realized that years and years of no vocal training except singing in the shower wasn’t gonna cut it, plus the weird synthesizer effects I was using to make my voice sound like Natalie Maines gave me a headache and made my dog whine. So I gave up and started serial watching Doomsday Preppers instead.

My destiny.

When you share your secrets you make yourself more vulnerable, transparent, real, and best of all, give all your friends something to talk about at the Girl’s Night Out they somehow forgot to tell you about. Give it a try. Just lay it out on Facebook that you’ve got a Chucky doll collection, because anyone who blocks you after the fact wasn’t a true friend anyway. You won’t regret it unless you’ve committed a felony, in which case, you might want to skip today’s act of kindness and catch up on back episodes of Snapped.

That’s not my house.

I, Gemini Girl, have interrupted my non-existent programming to bring you the 25 Days of Giving Challenge. Please join me in my quest, over the next 25 days(ish), to make people happy. I’ll share stories of giving escapades that will be sure to wow, delight, or at least not annoy anyone who chooses to participate. Each Day of Giving will be conveniently brought to you via email if you follow this blog. And if you’re already a follower? Pass it onto your friends. If we work together we can change the world, or at least dramatically improve my hit ratio.

19 thoughts on “25 Days of Giving Day Twenty-Two: Spill Your Secrets

1. stellacastro says:

I would love to see that recording. How do I get a copy of it? 🙂

Being vulnerable is not entirely comfortable, but it makes me feel human. Thanks for the post!

1. Spill a secret, Stella. It will free up space in your mind better used to find me the perfect Christmas gift. =p

Love you sister, thanks for reading and commenting at this busy time of year.

1. stellacastro says:

Are you kidding me? Every morning, you know my girls and I anxiously wait for your post to show up in my inbox! 🙂 Thank YOU for writing at this busy time of year.

2. daniheart21 says:

This is a hard one for me…cause I am basically an open book. I don’t typically do the little white lie thing…in fact I have most of my life been pretty honest even to my own detriment (which happened more than I care to admit). Believe you me there were times when a little white lie would have more than come in handy. LOL I have gotten better about not just blurting out the truth at inopportune moments. giggles. okay I just thought of one… I have on more than one occasion fibbed about having plans to get out of making plans with someone…but it was only to avoid hurting someone’s feelings, and I felt bad about it each time. there..the secret is out. 🙂

1. You’re such a kind person, Dani. I’m not surprised that even your secrets are kind. =)

3. Carrie Rubin says:

I’m not much of a secret spiller, especially on the Internet. Hmm, I wonder why? No one would see it, right?… 😉

1. Oh come on Carrie. Guilty pleasure? That’s an easy one.
      =p

1. Carrie Rubin says:

Chocolate, of course. But that’s no secret. Okay, here’s one. This morning I cheated when I did push-ups. I took an extra long drink and missed a whole set while the DVD instructor carried on. Oh, the shame…

2. Ahhh, the “extra long drink” excuse again. That one gets me every time, especially when it’s tequila. =)

4. Bondseye says:

Ok are we supposed to spill it to you? I would like to point out that there aren’t a lot of comments here on account of it being like a billboard. I plead the secret I told you the other day about my daughter’s waiving her right-to-keep-parents-out-of-my-room story. I actually wrote a different secret but oh well ok, let me test the boundaries of our internet friendship. I told somebody something once in 2012 in case of the 1 percent chance that the world might end and I didn’t want to risk going down without them ever knowing it. So thanks a lot Mayans!

1. Your daughter’s room definitely counts. And now you know you’re not alone. That’s true sisterhood right there.
      xoxo

5. Anonymous says:

Okaaaay… I’m trying to think of something printable that won’t have the Mounties (Canada’s polite version of Homeland Security) knocking on my door in 30 minutes… Well, I really do have a huge crush on Michelle Rodriguez… Oh right, you already know about that. Another: I’m a big Chuck Norris geek. No? Well sorry, you want anything juicier than that, you’re gonna have to get me drunk (trust me, it’s not that difficult).

1. Ok, so how many drinks does it take to get you drunk? It’s Christmas and I’m buying. =)

1. InPhiluencer says:

Hey! How comme I got posted as “Anonymous”? ‘Cause that I aint. It is “moi”, your Canadian fan!

2. I knew it was you Phillipe. You and Zac Ephron are the only people I know with crushes on Michelle Rodriguez, and I don’t know Zac so much as Zac’s abs.

3. And. Your crush on Michelle doesn’t count as a secret! So there.

6. I have always wanted to act in a Hollywood movie. I know, right?

7. Your jaunty WP Avatar has mega millions movie star written all over it. =)